Monday, January 6, 2014

Blog Blah! And My 1st "Marvelous in My Monday"

So... I have been "blogging" for over a year now, and I have a confession to make: I have no clue what I am doing! I guessed enough to create the blog, type, and publish, but that's about it. And honestly, I did not read many blogs before I started mine, so I had no "blog community." I still don't follow that many, but I use the Bloglovin' app so that when I come across a new one I can have it on my reading list. I started my blog more as an outlet for journaling than anything else, but I do enjoy sharing it with others. I'm not at all wanting to make money through my blog, I just want to share my faith, struggles, and successes in order to encourage others.  Here's where I am struggling: I feel like the only way to get more readers is to comment on other blogs a lot and blow up Twitter and Facebook... and I do not have the time to do that. Help!??? I know there has to be a better way to build my audience. Any practical advice is appreciated.

On to my Marvelous in My Monday...

Our weekend was fun. We were really focused on teaching our first class on Sunday morning, so that was our main topic of conversation. I got to do some baking on Saturday morning,which I haven't gotten to do in a while. Whole Wheat Flax Bread (easy!):
Recipe from Foodie Stays Fit

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Waffles from The Mother Huddle. 

M&M Cookies for Family Movie Night on Saturday night. Movie of choice was Benji. 

Sunday morning went super-well! Ben did a great job preparing and sharing our testimony. I am so proud of him for stepping out of his comfort zone in obedience to The Lord. 

We woke up to snow today!!! And I just made myself this yummy "grown-up hot chocolate" with my leftover coffee from this morning to warm up after playing outside with Rush. Do you see the white stuff in the background???
1/4 cup coffee, 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk, chocolate syrup of choice.
Mix together and heat in microwave!

I've been trying to read more blogs lately, and here's a great one that I found over the weekend: The Saved Runner. 

Some of my favorite posts from the weekend were:
Runner's Trials (Her) Preterm Labor
Lindsey's List Working Out While Pregnant
Delights and Delectables Friday Five and Favorites
A Healthy Slice of Life Munchkin Meals ( my first ever link-up!)
 
I also got to play with my Silouhette Cameo. Here's a preview of the pendant banner I am making for my niece:
 


And to make my Monday even more marvelous, I'm making quiche for dinner!!!
 

Happy Monday!!!


3 comments:

  1. Ah, hang in there! Everyone I know goes through times when they wonder, why the heck am I even blogging? I've been blogging for almost 4 years now (whaaa??) and still have days like that. The bottom line is to write what you enjoy. When I don't blog, I miss it because it's an outlet for me. Stay true to your voice and write what interests you and readers will come. I've never taken to those 'get readers quick' schemes, because it's most important to me to write what I enjoy.
    That being said, it is important (I think) to be involved in the community. Comment on 2-3 blog a day or hop on and chat on twitter during a 5 minute break. I don't think it's feasible or enjoyable to be attached to social media all day, but it is the community that is the wonderful thing about blogging!
    I'll step off my podium now ;) Have a great day!!

    PS- another tip- make it easier to comment and allow an option for name/url. People are much more likely to comment when it is easy :)

    www.ahealthysliceoflife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the advice, Brittany! I have so much to learn! For instance, I just tried to get codes to add the Bloglovin' widget and Commentluv plugin, and could not get either to work! Agh! I appreciate you taking time to comment. I really enjoy your blog, and you can tell that you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. April... Brittany took the words right out of my mouth. Smart girl there... ;)
    I totally agree with connecting with 2-3 blogs a day. It took me a long time to "build up" my blog. It is mostly just from becoming friends or "blends" (blog friends) with people. You could always consider going to the Blend Retreat with me this year! That is a great way to meet people.
    For me, it is about the friendships... not how many readers or comments I have. This community has helped me so much over the past 2 years! Hang in there friend and keep being YOU on the blog. People will fall in love with you... how could they not!?!??

    ReplyDelete