Thursday, January 2, 2014

Munchkin Meals: Fruitful Family's Quick-Breakfast Favorites

I'm excited to be writing my first Munchkin Meals post, hosted by Brittany at A Healthy Slice of Life. I thought I would start off with our first meal of the day, breakfast. Here are a few of my munchkins' favorite quick breakfasts...


Greek yogurt waffle with blueberries. This has been our go-to breakfast since my oldest (now 4) was starting out self-feeding. It super quick to make, and I almost always have everything on-hand. I usually use the whole grain frozen waffles, but I also love to make homemade waffles when I have time.

Greek yogurt waffle with blueberries
1 whole wheat waffle
1/4-1/3 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
Handful of blueberries (unsweetened frozen (thawed), or fresh)
Toast the waffle, spread the yogurt on top, plop the "bebbies" (berries to my two-year-old) on.
Cut up into desired size. 
 
Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal:
This is another super-simple breakfast, but my kids think it is the bomb! We eat oatmeal at least twice a week and have several different ways we like it, but this is near the top of our list. 
Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal
4 servings (2 adults + 2 munchkins)
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned/rolled oats (Bob's Red Mill is our fav)
3 cups water
Dash of salt
Unsweetened applesauce
Dark brown sugar
Ground cinnamon
Chopped walnuts (if desired)
Milk of choice
Cook your oatmeal according to directions.
Divide into individual bowls.
Top with desired amount of dark brown sugar, applesauce (about 1/4 cup for 1/2 cup of oatmeal), sprinkle on a little cinnamon, and stir. Add a splash of milk for creaminess and to cool it off for those little tongues, if needed. Top with nuts if desired. 
 
Banana Mini Muffins:
I make this banana recipe at least once every couple of months, and it never lasts long! I usually make 24 minis and 6 regular muffins. They are the perfect breakfast or snack, and perfect for little fingers!
 
Banana Bread Mini Muffins
(Makes approximately 36 mini muffins)
1 stick of butter (I always bake with unsalted, but salted would be fine)
2 ripe bananas
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat all-purpose flour (self rising can be used; eliminate the baking powder & salt)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (almonds or pecans would work too) (optional)
Preheat oven to 350*. 
Spray mini muffin tin with cooking oil or line. 
Cream butter & mash bananas & vanilla into the butter. 
Add the sugar and eggs, & applesauce; mix well. 
Stir in flour, baking powder, salt & nuts. Do not over stir! 
Spoon into muffin tin. 
Bake for 10-14 minutes or until slightly golden on top. 

I am a firm-believer in the importance of breakfast. If you are not already feeding your kids a healthy, filling breakfast, I encourage you to try. None of these recipes is complicated (OK, so you do have to bake the muffins!), and they will definitely make your munchkins happy!

... Sorry for the strange changes in font... I think Blogger is having issues. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I love these! Will be trying them with Oliver next week! Would love to see more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! Because it's kind of an afterthought for me, I forgot to mention that a sprinkling of flaxseed meal or Chia seeds is always a bonus!

      Delete