Friday, February 7, 2014

Hope Springs

Happy Friday!

This week has really flown by for us, because we were on our ski trip on Monday and Tuesday. The trip was great. I had a bit of mommy-guilt leaving behind our two kids with their double ear infections. But of course, they did great for their grandparents. The skiing was not so great on Monday as it had rained that morning so the slopes were covered in ice and there was fog everywhere. But we had a fun dinner at a hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant that night, and then we picked up a delicious cannoli that the restaurant claimed to be straight from Carmine's in New York City. It was delicious! Skiing was great on Tuesday. We only skied until lunchtime though because we had to drive back home. Before we left town, we stopped by a great local whole foods type restaurant called The Dish Café. Their lettuce wraps were amazing!


I finally got to get back on my routine of BSF on Wednesday morning. We had missed the week before because of snow and the previous week to that because of Lottie's RSV. I truly do love the growth that I'm experiencing because of this Bible study.

Rush finally got to go back to school on Thursday, and while he was there Lottie and I went to the church to begin setting up for an event that I have been planning for over a year. It was a Valentine's Day-themed couple's dinner for the mom's ministry that I am the director of. The dinner was last night, and it was a great success. Our speakers shared an amazing message of hope in Christ, and how when we make him the meaning, purpose, and fulfillment of our lives, marriage becomes what it is supposed to be.
We sent everyone home with a box of chocolate covered strawberries. Oh. My. Heavens! Raise your hand if you love chocolate covered strawberries!

Even though it has been a good week, my heart is still heavy because we have so much hurt going on around us. We have several friends who are sick or have close loved ones that are sick, and others who are experiencing great hurt at the moment. As I'm growing spiritually, I'm realizing that we cannot control our circumstances, and we probably will not understand them most of the time. But when we call out to God, He brings us comfort and peace that is unexplainable. Ben and I have been working on adding to Romans 8:28 verses 26 and 27, which has been a great reminder for me as we have so much to be praying for at the moment. The verses say,
"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And He who searches out hearts knows the mind of the Spirit because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will." 
How amazing is that?! We do not have to have the words to say except "God, I do not know what I need right now, but you do. And I have faith that you will give me what I need."

I am looking forward to the weekend, especially Sunday. It is the most important Sunday in the life of our church as we are renewing our commitments to the Lord and to the church corporately. I am privileged to be sharing a song this Sunday done originally by Nicole Nordeman called "Every Season." I'll leave you with the lyrics of the last verse:

"And everything that's new has bravely surfaced teaching us to breathe. And what was frozen through is newly surfaced turning all things green. And so it is with You as You make me new with every season's change. And so it will be as You are re-creating me: summer, autumn, winter, spring."

3 comments:

  1. This was breathtakingly beautiful, April. Thank you for sharing this. I praise God with you for that comfort, and his knowing our heart even better than we do. So sorry for all the hurt you're facing alongside friends, but thankful with you for our Savior in whom our hope is secure. Praying his peace on all these situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song... and that verse. God is good... even in the hard times of struggle. Kiss those babies for me! Call me.. I want to pray along with you. We have several friends right now in the throws of huge trials and I have to remember that God is faithful. Baby D is a living testimony to that!

    ReplyDelete