Thursday, March 27, 2014

Waiting and Working


We've been trying to sell our house for quite some time now. 17 months to be exact. When we first listed, we were planning to move into the city where Ben works because he has quite a long commute that we felt was taking away too much family time. We also felt that his life and mine and the kids' lives were not in-sync, since my extra-curriculars and his were in different towns with different people. {You can read more about our original plan for moving here.}

Over time, our hearts began to change while waiting to sell. 

We are still waiting for the house to sell, but after all the waiting, things are looking positive. 

The hard part for me is keeping my emotions out of it all. I go from overly excited and hopeful to worried that things won't "pan out" in a span of 30 seconds. Really, I can do nothing in the situation except trust God. And that is so freeing. Proverbs 3:5-6 says "Trust in The Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and  he will make your paths straight." 

Through my BSF study, I have been reminded recently that I should be living with more of an eternal mindset. And since the whole house-selling thing is what causes me more worry than anything, I realize that I must let it go. Yes, moving to the area that we desire will allow us to be more involved in ministry at church, but our current situation is not preventing it altogether. I need to focus on how I can use my current circumstances for God's glory. If I waste the time that I have been given here and now just because I want to live somewhere else, I am going to be missing out on opportunities to spread hope and love. 

“When circumstances rise to levels of importance way beyond their actual importance, they exercise more control over us than they should … The resurrection of Jesus and the hope of forever give us a sense of priority and proportion.” ~Paul Tripp, Forever (pg. 87)

I don't want my circumstances to completely control me. I want hope in Christ to be my priority. 

"we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.” ~2 Peter 3:13

When I keep my eyes on the promise of my future (complete righteousness and perfect fellowship with God), joy and contentment will be the result. And I won't find it hard at all to keep working while I'm waiting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment